Monday, February 4, 2008

Argentina through my eyes

People have asked us what Argentina is like. So take a look through my eyes:

No soft toilet paper.
Wonderful "dulce de leche" desserts.
No fast food (well, McDonald's and Burger King are world-wide).
Restaurants open around 8pm and serve all night long.
No brown sugar (which has caused problems with my Sunday ritual of making and eating chocolate chip cookies).
Fast and crazy driving! You DO NOT stop at a stop sign.
No middle class, there is rich and very, very poor.
Everything can be delivered to your door (diapers, ice cream, groceries, Wal-Mart, water, fruit, anything)!
Yes, there is Wal-Mart (the catch is that it looks like Wal-Mart, but still is full of Argentine stuff).
No baseball (which is sad for Jared & Dallin).
Spanish, well not really, they have their own version of Spanish with different sounds and different words.
Beautiful, wonderful, exciting place (after the 6 months of crying and homesickness associated with culture shock)!

4 comments:

Emma said...

From the stories I've heard from Aaron, Argentina hasn't changed much. The very rich and very poor, is the same, among others. He gained 30 lbs on his mission because they ate meat 3 times a day. Do you like carne asada?

Hayley said...

Hey Chrissy,
I know what your going through. I thought moving to Argentina would be much easier than living in a muslim country, I was wrong! I have found it much harder to adjust to the diet(meat,meat,meat)
attitude(you can't change it, thats how it happens here)and the driving (i'm worried everytime I get in my car)

Love your blog, i'm new to it too perhaps we can swap notes on how to do things on here :-}

Shuldberg said...

wow...that would be a change. funny how countries can be so different...I mean, I never would have thought somewhere DIDN'T have brown sugar. :)
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. It would be super fun to visit!

chloe said...

I just updated myself on your life, so now you need to update again. How long are you guys there for?

Our buddies