Monday, December 1, 2008

Going Batty

So about a week ago I (Jared) was in the computer room. Emma and Ginger had just moved their beds up there that particular night. Emma on a bed and Ginger on a mattress on the floor were fast asleep as Annie and Dallin slept in an adjacent room. Christian was in the tv room (no, we don't live seperate lives, it was supposed to be like this and you'll understand why soon). Annie woke up for some reason and was crying for mommy. This is not unusual so I waited for her to go back to sleep. She didn't and after a few seconds I saw something flying in the hall in the light of the hall light. At first I thought, "my gosh, that is a big moth," and then processed it as a bird. But it was not flying smoothly like a bird would. It kind of hopped around in the air. Well, as it splattered right by the only exit in the computer room I realized what it was - a freaking bat was in the house and I was trapped. It lay on the floor with its wings spread. I called for Christian (who as noted above was out of the computer room) who quickly came. I sat frozen as my wife (who without her glasses was about as blind as the bat) came to the rescue. I yelled, "there's a freaking bat on the floor." Christian: "Where, I can't see it." Jared: "Don't move. Just go get something to cover it. Of my gosh, its ear is moving. His head is lifting up. Get something!" Just then the creature flew over right by Ginger. I put her in Emma's bed and the thing tried to hide by crawling between her two pillows. Then the nasty creature began to hop around the air again (if you have ever seen a bat fly you know what I mean, it almost looked fake) and landed right on Ginger's tummy (on top of the blanket) on Emma's bed! Christian and I ran out scared, shut the door, and yelled for the girls to wake up, yelling "bat! bat," and ordered them to get it out of the house (just kidding). We got the windows open, approached the venemous Chiroptera and it "flew" out. We shut the window and I proceeded to wash and disinfect the entire house. Still not sure how the thing got in the house but suspect that the large amount of rain for several days had him/her looking for shelter.

1 comment:

John, Angie, Gabe, Logan, and Christian said...

Sound like somthing you and Christian will be able to look back and laugh at someday. I would have spazed out to.

Our buddies