Thursday, May 21, 2009

Every Member A Missionary


Last weekend our ward had a missionary open house. Each member family was asked to bring 1 non-member. Then each organization had their room prepared with pictures, posters, handouts, etc. Sounds good, right?

Well, our attendance wasn't quite what we had hoped for--1 sister brought 2 friends and another family brought 1 friend. So when the mission president and his family showed up and they went to the street to find more people. The Elders were also outside talking to people passing by. I got an old, familiar itch to do something, but I just stood and watched.

After awhile, the mission president came in and I asked him what he was saying to invite people (which so far, no one had welcomed his invitation). He proceeded to tell me his thoughts about the whole situation (not upset, but with humility and love):

**Look at all the members sitting inside the church, where it is warm, they are comfortable, they have their callings and assignments--there they are waiting for the missionaries to bring someone into the church. Shouldn't it be the opposite? Shouldn't the members be bringing their friends into the church and the missionaries can help along the way?**

Wow, what an eye-opener for me. Now I knew where that itch was coming from! We had only invited 1 family and they couldn't make it, so I hadn't even tried to invite anyone else. So I grabbed another American sister (returned missionary and speaks Spanish beautifully) and we went out into the street to help the missionaries.

It was tough. Memories of rejection and strange looks and all that fun stuff came flooding back. But we were trying! We slowly walked back to the church with no success. Then as we were at the church gate, a lady carrying groceries walked past. My friend invited her in and she said "OK." Wow! We needed that 1 yes! She stayed for a long time, watched a presentation, visited the Relief Society, and had refreshments with us.

Anyway, this evening left me with a lot to think about and that's why I felt I should pass it on. Here in the Buenos Aires Temple, they have told the temple workers to stop praying that "the missionaries will be led to those searching." The leaders said the time for that is passed! Now they are counseled to pray for the members! WE are going to find and bring the elect to the Church and to the Lord. So go get'em, and my prayers are with YOU, my fellow member-missionaries!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully said!! Thanks for the gentle reminder!

Annalisa said...

yes, every member a missionary. great advice. smiles!!

Our buddies